Thursday, December 5, 2013

Life With the Camera Phone


One piece of technology that has affected the human experience is the invention and popularity of the camera within the cell phone. It seems as though almost everyone in America is ready and able to snap a picture or film a short video clip at any given moment.        
This new age, where everyone has a camera at all times, is very interesting because it has such positive and such negative consequences. For the good, always having a camera can allow you to capture all kinds of beautiful moments that you may miss otherwise. Anything from a surprise birthday party to a backyard stunt, or my personal favorite, sunsets.  

                                       (Photos I took with my camera phone)
On the other hand, because of cell phone cameras, it is much harder to get away with doing stupid stuff under the radar. Who knows how many job opportunities have been lost due to something that surfaced on social media after being immortalized by the cell phone. I know I myself have received a few phone calls from my mother demanding that I remove pictures of myself that other people have posted to my facebook.
            Guys like Daniel Tosh and Rob Dyrdek don’t know how easy they’ve got it. Back when Bob Sagett was running America’s Funniest Home Videos, you couldn’t just carry your camcorder in your pocket and then instantly send it in. Oh no, you’d have to film it on some huge, low quality, expensive piece of equipment and then send in a physical tape through the postal service.
            Camera phones haven’t just changed the way we entertain ourselves, they’ve changed the way we communicate, half the time I receive a text message it is a picture message and don’t even get me started about snapchat.
            

No comments:

Post a Comment